Wednesday, 6/29/11 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon: Judy, Lance, Emily, and Bruce accomplished the following:
1) Harvested 99 Imperator carrots (about 45 lbs of roots and greens) from bed A5 (bed is bare now).. The carrots were large averaging abour10 to 12 inches with some specimens 14 to 18 inches long and 2-1/2 inches in diameter at the top. Flaover was good although they were probably juicier a week or two ago.
2) Harvested first four Raven zucchini from B3 (plants are growing vigorously and setting fruit on every plant. Yellow summer squash were partially shaded and crowded by Georgia Southern Collards and have not set fruit yet.
3) Harvested a tub (about 1.5 bushels) of Georgia Southern Collards. Plants are growing vigorously and leaves taste a little like turnip greens. Seems to be a good summer variety of collard. Cut bottom course of leaves/stems.
4) Planted about 6 Sweet Basil plants provided by a person from the OHK. and healed in two Thyme plants.
5) Cut and placed fence for trellis on bed C2
6) Spread about 1/2 c.y. of grass trimming mulch on beds.
Friday, 7/1/11 from 4:00 to 6:30 PM: Bruce, Lance and Ruth accomplished the following:
1) Tied tomatoes to trellises on beds C2, D1, D2, and E1.
2) spread grass clipping much on the foolwing beds: F1, F2, E1, E2, D1, D2, C2, AB9, AB7 and B4.
3) Mark bought Batteries and installed them into the three irrigation timers.
Saturday, 7/1/11 from 7:00 to 9:30 AM: Bruce, Lance and Mark accomplished the following:
1) Thinned and transplanted corn in beds F1 and F2.
2) Installed trellis poles on beds C1 and A1.
3) Installed fence trellis (first course) on bed A1.
4) Harvested two Northern rows of onions on A1 in order to make room for Trellis. Most onion had not reached full size. Mark took onions to his house for drying. Onions that had been harvested a week earlier and left to dry near composting bins were drying well. Onion counts:
Onion, Fortress, 68 bulbs.
5) Tomatoes were tied to trellis on bed A1. a couple of Yellow Pear tomatos were ripe (firm but sweet).
6) A little weeding and T-Tape staking was done.
7) Bruce and Mark will return later in the evening to clean tiller and return it to Dick and Wanda Finn.